Velcro, Self-Adhesive & Plain Abrasive Discs
Velcro Sanding Discs:
Paper backed velcro discs are largely used for orbital sanding all types of material, whilst the cloth backed sanding discs are more commonly used for metal grinding, sanding & polishing. Lots of options available ex-stock.
- Diameters: 50mm, 75mm, 115mm, 125mm & 150mm
- Materials: Aluminium Oxide, Zirconium Oxide, 3M Trizact, Cibo Ceramics, the new LKGR compact grain systems, surface conditioning & the Cibo Rebel One Unitised discs.
Self- Adhesive Sanding Discs:
Primarily used for woodworking but also used in the metal fab shop. To ensure a good product life, all self-adhesive sanding discs are made to order.
Have you considered buying a plain abrasive paper disc and our SPLA adhesive spray? Many of these discs are available ex-stock and there is no risk of the adhesive becoming damaged by time or a cold / damp atmosphere.
- Diameters: 200mm to 915mm
- Materials: Paper discs in Aluminium Oxide or Zirconia
Velcro, Self-Adhesive & Plain Abrasive Discs FAQs
What is the alternative to the 3M Roloc quick change system?
You can of course use the Cibo Lockit system which uses the same button fixing system on the back of the abrasive discs. But, have you tried the new Cibo Grip / Velcro disc systems?
The Cibo Grip disc system is getting us very excited.
- Available in 50mm and 75mm diameter, the new Cibo Grip discs are a real, new alterative to Roloc.
- Cheaper than the traditional Roloc products yet with a longer life.
- Easier to use than Roloc - the Cibo Grip discs sit flat on the back up pad, allowing much better control.
Roloc buttons cause the disc to deform on the back up pad, whilst the Cibo Grip discs give a perfect, flat grinding face. This makes them ideal for grinding back tig welds on stainless steel and aluminium, on which a high quality finish is demanded.
Cibo Grip - 75mm range
- Cibo Ceramics, 40, 60 80 and 120 grit
- LK Compact Grain, 120, 240, 400 and 800 grit
- Unitised Discs SA5, MA5 and SA7
- 237GR Trizact
Which is better self-adhesive or Velcro / grip sanding discs?
In most applications, and particularly on smaller machines, the velcro / grip abrasive discs have a much longer life and are easier to take on and off the sander.
Traditionally on the larger platten / disc sanders used in woodworking and engineering industries, self-adhesive discs are more commonly used. However, there is a third option as explained below...
Purchase a plain abrasive disc in addition to a can of SPLA spray adhesive. Not only is it quicker and easier to use, plain discs are also significantly less expensive and remove the problems associated with storing adhesives in cold or humid environments.
Note: If you require exact tolerance sanding, such as in the F1 support teams, then we would always recommend the self-adhesive discs / plain + spray adhesive options.
Can I buy plain abrasive discs and apply the self-adhesive myself?
Yes. We supply a spray can of adhesive which we recommend for this purpose (SKU: SPLA). This is a great solution if you need to store the discs for any length of time as you won’t have to worry about the adhesive ‘going off'.